Friday, December 15, 2006

A Few Extra Thoughts

I was thinking about my last couple blog entries on the my way to Tanzania (arrived last night) and there's one thing that's bothering me. I wrote in one about the kids having "blind truth" and I don't like that phrase. I don't think it accurately depicts what I am trying to describe. I think the better phrase is PURITY.

The kids are so pure. They have lived a life that could rightly make anyone pessimistic. They've suffered more than most of us can imagine. But what strikes me most is that they've lived a life free of almost everything-amenities- that we feel are absolutely necessary. It's this purity that makes the simplest things seem amazing. And that allows them to just trust people. I think all kids start out with this, but then it gets muddled by all our shit. Our electronics and toys and medicines. We so thoroughly inundate ourselves with things that we dumb our senses and we lose this purity that is so valuable.

I often think about the situation in Ethiopia and most of Africa and I ask myself: How do we help them and bring them into the modern world without stripping them of this purity? Is it even possible? And the truth is, I don't know. I think it's something I'll struggle with the rest of my trip. There's this yearning to "save" them but in many ways, they're doing better than we are. The appreciation they have for their families and their things,the simple things- the things we forget we are so fucking lucky to have at our fingertips. Things we take for granted to the point that we don't even think about it. That we can go to the doctor. That we have running water in our houses. That we go to school and will almost definitely go to college if that's what we want. We live in a world where we can pretty much do whatever we want and all we tend to want is more.

Ok I think that's enough philosophy for the moment. Pictures from Ethiopia are up, so feel free to check them out!

Hope is life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home