Saturday, September 09, 2006

Good Day from Rio Muchacho Organic Farm

Hello Again Friends,

Where to start? Well the journey to Ecuador was easy, got in around 2 pm. Went straight from the airport to a hostel called El Centro del Mundo and just hung out there for the afternoon and evening. They had a lovely and comfortable common room so I basically just spent a lazy afternoon watching tv and talking to different people. Left the hostel around 10ish to go to the bus stop. The bus went through the night from Quito to Bahia. I slept like a baby and woke up at 7 am the next morning to find myself in Bahia. Took a ¨taxi,¨ a wooden seat driven by a local on a bike to the Guacamayo Tours office. Met Lucy and Dale, other volunteers and had a day of orientation, got a tour of Bahia and the things that Nicola and Dario, the farm owners, have done to help make it an eco-city. Left Bahia on a passenger ferry around 2:30 to San Vincent which is across the river and from there we hitched a ride (definitely more my style than the hired minibuses!) to the farm. I thought the truck was full when the 3 of us got on with our gear as there were already 8 or so other people which tons of sacks of food but we just kept stopping to pick people up.

Finally...the farm!! Met Greg and Beatrice, other volunteers who left this morning, and they showed us around the farm. Had a bit of time to unpack which I didn't do and paid for it later when the electricity went out and I didn't know where my flashlight was!!

And then it was Tuesday. We got right into the swing of things. Here's an outline of a typical day:

5:50- wake up

6:10- rubber boots on; meet Benjamin (one of the farm workers) to feed the chickens, help clean the pig stalls (because one of the workers left), and pick the vegetables for the day. This morning chore is a weekly rotation of cutting pesto, cleaning the pig stalls, feeding the chickens/picking the vegetables, and helping prepare breakfast and pick the fruits.

7:30- rubber boots off; breakfast and then dishes

8:30- rubber boots on; start the morning work. Usually involves some hoeing with acedones (I dont think this tool has a name in english but its the same thing I used in Honduras), preparing beds and planting in the garden, something with the animals, and anything else that needs to be done.

12- rubber boots off; lunch and dishes and then some relaxation time

1:30- special project time. our special project is to help redo one area and make it into an information center for future volunteers. We're taking out trees and plants, putting in new ones, redoing the floor, extending the roof, making bulletins and pictures, etc.

4- relaxation time

6- dinner and dishes

9ish- usually in bed (shocking, I know!)

So there you have it, a day in the life of molly lister at Rio Muchacho Organic Farm. We work monday through saturday afternoon, and it's different than anything I've ever done before and I'm loving it!! The work is hard, but delightfully hard and interesting. I don't think I've been this sore since soccer preseason so it's definitely a good pre-nols segment. The food is amazing- I seriously don' think I've ever eaten so well in my life. mmm mmm mmm!!! The people are lovely. We actually speak Spanish most of the time which I find quite tiring but it's a good test.

What else can I say? I'm currently in Canoa, the closest town to the farm which happens to be right on the coast and be covered in hammocks, so I can't really complain. There is no internet on the farm so I will try and update weekly but it's subject to change due to circumstances out of my control. I hope you can understand :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home